Monday 23 December 2013

A Stylish Coat

One item of clothing that every stylish man needs is a good quality coat.



I'm not talking about anoraks or other types of waterproof (with one notable exception), I'm talking about a proper coat that keeps you warm and dry in the worst of weather, yet looks fantastic when you arrive at your destination, whether that destination is an office, church, the theatre or a high class restaurant.



Lest we forget, this blog is all about style on a budget, and the kind of coat I'm thinking about can be expensive.  Nevertheless, it is certainly possible to buy a very good quality coat for very little money, and I currently have four in my wardrobe; two of which cost less than £10 and one of which was free.



My personal preference is for long coats, which I always feel look for elegant, especially if you are fairly tall.  I favour mid-calf to ankle length, but some prefer knee length or even shorter.  Must be the influence of The Doctor again, although Pierce Brosnan's James Bond also wore a very classy long coat in "Tomorrow Never Dies".



My first long coat was black, 100% wool, single breasted and and bought at British Homes Stores over 13 years ago.  It cost £120 and it's the only time I paid full price for a coat.  Even then, at a cost of less than £10 a year it's more than paid for itself and it still looks good!



My second long coat was free, as it was given to me by a relative who no longer wanted it.  Again 100% wool and single breasted I t is warm and comfortable.  However, not many of us are fortunate enough to be given a free quality Gentleman's coat.



My third long coat is again grey and of a slightly different style, being double breasted with wider lapels and a belt.  It's a heavier coat too and great on really cold windy days.  I paid the princely sum of £5 at a charity shop.  You really can't get better value!



My final long warm coat was purchased this weekend for £10, again from a charity shop.  It's darkish beige, single breasted, nearly ankle length and a wool / cashmere mix!  I've worn it today and received several comments about how smart my 'new' coat looks!  Got caught in a heavy downpour too and it kept me warm and dry!



Finally, I must mention my Burberry trench coat, again from a charity shop for £15.



You may notice that several of my quality coats have one thing in common, I bought them at charity shops!  If you are on a very restricted budget for clothes charity shops are one way to buy really good quality clothes at very reasonable prices.  You may have to shop around a little, but eventually you will find just what you are looking for.



For now, my coat collection is complete, but who knows what I may be tempted by in the future!





No comments:

Post a Comment